[Spambayes] Outlook Express rules

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Mar 18 21:44:31 EST 2004

> I don't see any way (suggestions wanted!) of changing the
> Outlook Express rules to exclude 'spambayes' - there seems to
> be no way of including the logical 'but not spambayes'.

IIRC, the tag is actually "spam,", so you could modify the rule to include
the final comma.

> My next alternative seems to be to change the word that
> Spambayes sets messages it decides is spam to something other
> than 'spam' - that is if it output 'sspam' then I could set
> my Outlook Express rule accordingly.
>
> Can this be easily done?

Yes, depending on your definition of "easily".  You need to manually edit
the configuration file (the Configuration page on the web interface says
where the file is located), because this option isn't exposed.  You can do
this in any text editor (e.g. Notepad).  In the "Headers" section, add the
option:

header_spam_string:new_string_to_use

Where "new_string_to_use" is whatever you want to be used instead of "spam".

Note that everything then *should* work nicely, but this is (AFAIK) a
relatively unused option, and so won't have had  the same amount of testing
that the standard configuration has had.

=Tony Meyer

---