[Spambayes] I am the author of my own undoing.

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Mar 22 23:07:59 EST 2004

> So, I have three questions.
> Is my idea of using sb_filter.py to train the database
> for a procmail-filter classifier fundamentally wrong-headed?

Is there a reason that you don't want to use sb_imapfilter for the training
as well as the classification?  I saw something in another message that said
something about downloading the message twice, but I wasn't sure what you
meant exactly.  Do you already have the message downloaded in some non-mbox
form?  If so, maybe sb_mboxtrain can be manipulated into working with it.
If not, then maybe we can adapt sb_imapfilter to do the job?

> If not, is it reasonable for me to request that SpamBayes
> synchronize access to the database files, to prevent the
> sort of corruption that I caused?

The policy (if you can call it that <wink>) so far has been that each of the
scripts needs to ensure that they are well behaved in this manner, but it's
up to the user to manage any multiple script difficulties.  Usually it's
only Linux people using procmail or something like that that are in this
situation anyway, and they're happy putting in whatever lock stuff goes
there (I know nothing).  If you can come up with a scenario where SpamBayes
really needs to be the one doing it, and no-one here can find a way around
the problem, then yes, it is reasonable.  It may be reasonable even without
that if you have a patch <0.5 wink>.

> Is there any way for me to recover, short of retraining
> from scratch?  (I _liked_ the set-up I had.... :-)

I think this has been answered via the sb_dbexpimp.py stuff.

=Tony Meyer

---