[Spambayes] multiple e-mail accounts in Outlook express

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 23 13:06:33 EST 2004

Tony Meyer wrote:
>> I have e-mail accounts with ntlworld.com and virgin.net.
>> Having configured spambayes for both and set the proxy
>> to localhost, it works fine with the ntl server but will
>> not give access to the virgin account via 'mail.virgin.net'.
>> [I get invalid password messages.]
>> Could this be because I am using an ntl broadband link to
>> pick up my mail from the virgin net server?
>
> The connection type shouldn't matter.  By any chance, is the virgin
> account connecting via SSL?  (In the mail program there will be a
> ticked box or something similar, and the port will probably be 995
> rather than 110.  If that's the case, then this isn't good, as
> SpamBayes doesn't yet support POP3 over SSL.

I may have missed part of this thread, so I apologize if this has
already been tried.

The problem description doesn't specify how the SpamBayes ports are
configured, so is it possible that SpamBayes isn't set up for two
different accounts?  In the normal case of a single ISP, you would set
SpamBayes up to listen on port 110 and then the only change in your
e-mail client is to use "localhost" instead of your mail server name.
If you changed both "ntlworld.com" and "virgin.net" to "localhost"
without changing ports then they may both be talking to the same server,
which would explain the invalid password message.

Here's how SpamBayes should be configured: Remote Servers should contain
both server names separated by commas, e.g.
"mail.ntlworld.com,mail.virgin.net".  SpamBayes Ports should also
contain two port numbers separated by commas, e.g. "9110,9120".  The
first port will apply to the first mail server and the second port to
the second mail server.

In your e-mail client, you need to set the hostname for each mail
account to "localhost", but you need to specify a different port for
each.  Using the above example configuration, you would set the port for
the ntlworld.com account to 9110 and the port for the virgin.net account
to 9120.

--
Kenny Pitt