[Spambayes] Configuring Spambayes without X11

Webb Scales scales at zko.dec.com
Wed Mar 24 14:31:39 EST 2004

Tony Meyer wrote:

> The trickiest bit, probably, will be making sure you have the IMAP folder
> paths correct, since there isn't any standard folder delimiter with IMAP.
> Maybe you know the paths already, though.

If you don't know them (either the path or the delimiter), you should be able
to ask your IMAP server.

I believe that the IMAP RFC contains more than you want to know, but you should
be able to get from it everything you need to talk to your server.

The short version is, use telnet to connect to port 143 on the machine running
your IMAP server, like

     % telnet nodename.sub.dom 143

Then log in to your IMAP server, like

     001 login myaccountname mypassword

(The first token ("001") is just a token used to match responses to requests.
Don't worry about it.)

Then ask it for the list of folders, like

     002 list INBOX *

If "INBOX" doesn't work for you, I'll have to refer you to the RFC....  *shrug*

To ask it for just the path delimiter, type

     003 list "" ""

When you're done, you can log out, like

     004 logout

Good luck and happy IMAP'ing,

               Webb

Webb Scales                                Hewlett-Packard Company
scales at zko.dec.com                         110 Spit Brook Rd, ZKO2-3/N30
Voice: 603.884.2196, FAX: 603.884.0120     Nashua, NH 03062-2711
           Rule #12: Be joyful - seek the joy of being alive.