[Spambayes] Qmail, smtp-after-pop and the smtp-proxy!

:: PaiRaN :: pairan at foni.net
Thu Mar 25 11:42:39 EST 2004

Hi there,

im using spambayes as a Spam-Tagger on my system. It performs well and prevents me from reading those spam-shit!

My Qmail-Server has a rule called "smtp-after-pop". Well, since Spambayes offers to serve as a SMTP-Proxy aswell, i configured it to do so. Now i encounter the following Problem:

After having configured the sb_server to be a smtp-proxy for me, it does so for everyone connected to the internet! Or in other words: Changing Spambayes to become a smtp-proxy lets my qmail go OPEN-RELAY!

Is there a fast and easy-workaround, which i can implement into sb_server.py to prevent this!?

I thought of a kind of LIST!

IF the authentification on the POP3-Proxy did well an was accepted, then write the IP to a text-file!
And wenn SMTP-Proxy is called on port x (usually 25) then FIRST parse the list and compare the IP to the prior approved IP's from the mentioned Text-file above!

This shouldnt be a big change! But since i only do some perl an html, i cant find the place to change in the script!

I would be very pleased to hear from you about this. Maybe this change could enhance your Project a bit!

kind regards

 // PaiRaN