[Spambayes] Hit-or-miss incremental training

Becker, Jim JBecker at ui.urban.org
Thu Mar 25 11:56:44 EST 2004

SpamBayes Outlook Plug-In 1.0a9
Outlook 2000 SR-1
Windows 2000 SP4

A colleague is running with the default thresholds for spam and possible
spam (namely 90% and 15% respectively).

Two messages in his Junk Suspects folder (where SpamBayes directs his
possible spam) behaved differently when dragged back to his In Box. He has
both options checked under Incremental Training, such that SpamBayes will do
incremental training when messages are dragged around appropriately.

First, the bad news. He dragged a message from Junk Suspects to his In Box.
The spam scores, before and after, were identical. I had him drag it back
into Junk Suspects, and we verified that the score was still the same. Then
I had him click the Recover From Spam button. This time, it rescored the
message properly. Based on his settings, I would have expected dragging the
message and clicking the button to have the same results.

The next case is different. This message was initially scored about the same
as the first (both in the 20-22% range). He dragged it to his In Box, and
this time SpamBayes rescored it and did the incremental training. The spam
score when down below 1%. This is what I expected, based on his settings,
but it's inconsistent with the above case.

Any ideas?

Jim Becker