[Spambayes] Spam on spambayes list

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Mar 25 17:46:16 EST 2004

    Lee> Does anyone else find it ironic that the spambayes list gets spam?

No.  All public mailing lists get spam.  Some, as you observed, just filter
them.  The python-mode mailing list gets lots of spam too:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-mode/2004-March/thread.html

Until I needed to search the March archives today I hadn't even noticed.  I
am going to work on a little post-processing to de-spam that list's
archives.

    Lee> Or, are all of you running a well-trained Spambayes and not
    Lee> receiving this stuff?

I suspect most of us have little trouble with this.  If we did we'd either
be working hard to improve Spambayes or looking elsewhere for spam filtering
solutions.

    Lee> Until I get to configuring and running my new spambayes, this is
    Lee> going to try my patience.  :-( The procmail list is wonderfully
    Lee> spam-free.

There's a good reason why there are no spam filters on the Spambayes lists.
People sometimes need to post spam with "what do you think about this?"
sorts of questions.  Having the list filtered would create more work for the
moderators and make it more challenging to post examples for other members
to consider.  A couple days ago a guy in Italy posted a note to the procmail
list asking about a spam he'd received.  I assume that he didn't post the
actual message because it would have been blocked.  I had to ask him
off-list to send me a copy.

If this list wasn't devoted to the topic of spam, I'd agree that filtering
it would be a reasonable thing to do, but it is, so it's not. <wink>

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/submit.html
skip at pobox.com