[Spambayes] Spambayes on Mac OS X

Fran ç ois Granger francois.granger at free.fr
Fri Mar 26 12:06:06 EST 2004

I moved to a new Mac with 10.3.3, so I decided to do a fresh install of the
latest of Spambayes. I downloaded the latest (b10) from CVS.

It is still absolutely wonderfull. Trained on only 10 ham, 10 spam, it
already filter most spams.

Checking the documentation page, I thought that there was some room for a
detailed proxy install for "Mac OS X newbie Unix users" and I started it. It
is currently a text document. I can make it an Html one.

I enclose it below for review.

Mac OS X install

Create a directory spambayes inside your user directory
After download of Spambayes and decompressing, open a terminal window:

fgranger$ cd /usr/local
fgranger$ md bin
fgranger$ chmod a+x bin
fgranger$ cd /path/to/decompressed/spambayes

replace by the name of the directory, or type "cd " in the terminal window
then drag the directory icon from the finder to the terminal windows.

fgranger$ python setup.py install
fgranger$ cd build/scripts-2.3
fgranger$ pico spamd

copy & past the following inside the window

---- start copy
#!/bin/sh
#
# spamd         This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#               the spambayes deamon.
#