[Spambayes] Spambayes can't find bsddb

Rick Gregory rick at drinknow.net
Sat Mar 27 12:49:54 EST 2004

Sigh... I used tgo run SB in the a2/a3 days and it worked fine. Then I
started using Thunderbird and found that it was catching most junk, so I
used that instead. Recently my Thunderbird junk filter isn't catching
enough spam, so I downloaded a9.

When I run sb_imapfilter on  my Powerbook (OS X 10.3.3, Python 2.3) I get:

    ImportError: No module named _bsddb
    Exception exceptions.AttributeError: "'MessageInfoDB' object has no
    attribute 'db'" in <bound method MessageInfoDB.__del__ of
    <spambayes.message.MessageInfoDB object at 0x4e7d30>> ignored

On my Linux server at home (that serves my personal email account)  I get:

    You do not have a dbm module available to use.  You need to either
    use a pickle (see the FAQ), use Python 2.3 (or above), or install a
    dbm module such as bsddb (see http://sf.net/projects/pybsddb).

Now, the sb FAQ asserts I should have all of this with Python 2.3, so I
assume it's a pathing error. The problem is that I don't know that much
about Python environment variables. What should I verify/set to ensure
that bsddb is found?

INcidentally, I manually installed Berkely db 4.2 and pysbddb on my
linux box, so I know it's there.

thanks,

rick