[Spambayes] Question/Recommendation

Webb Scales scales at zko.dec.com
Tue Mar 30 15:19:24 EST 2004

Christopher wrote:

> I don't know if the following function is available.  I would like to be
> able to mark certain emails as "always good"  (i.e. non-spam)...

How do you know that these emails are "good"?  That is, what about them are you
keying off of?  (If it is indeed the sender's email address, then, yes, what
Amir says about "white lists" applies.)

Whatever it is that you are keying off of, the SB filtering can probably be
configured to key off of it as well.  Then you just need to train it
appropriately.

> Sometimes I accidentally mark something as spam and miss messages.  I am not
> sure how.

This is a problem.  The filter is only as good as the training that you give
it.  If you sometimes tell it that "good" mail is "spam", then you shouldn't be
surprised if sometimes it tells you the same thing back.  :-)  And, if you
cannot configure/train the software properly, in all odds no extra knob is
going to save you.  ;-)

I'm sure that someone else here can comment better than I on how to recover
from mis-training the filter.  But, if you let SB do it's job (i.e., give it
proper configuration and training), you should find that you don't need special
rules (such as "white lists").

                Webb

Webb Scales                                Hewlett-Packard Company
scales (at) zko.dec.com                    110 Spit Brook Rd, ZKO2-3/N30
Voice: 603.884.2196, FAX: 603.884.0120     Nashua, NH 03062-2711
            MIPS - Meaningless Indication of Processor Speed