[Spambayes] Problem with POP3 Proxy: [PROBLEM SUMMARY]

Roman Rzechowicz romanr at hunterlink.net.au
Sun May 2 09:48:26 EDT 2004

G'day guys!
Firstly its a great looking piece of software!
I do have some reasonably effective rules I've manually implemented in OE6
that probably catch 80% of my spam with very few false positives (catches
most ebay replies, of which about 50% are real and 50% are spam)

Secondly I can't get it to succesfully retrieve emails from my ISP mail
server,

I am using :
SpamBayes POP3 Proxy Version 1.0b1 (April 2004) (binary), with
Version 2.3.3 (#51, Feb 13 2004, 14:39:56) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] of
Python;
My operating system is Windows 4.10.67766446.1 ( A ).
My email client is Outlook Express V 6.00.2800.1123
I have trained 0 ham and 0 spam.

I've setup my email account in OE6 to talk to "localhost" and left it at
port 110 for incoming email only.
I have configured SpamBayes to proxy mail.hunterlink.net.au (which was a cut
and paste of my incoming email server) on port 110 .
OE6 successfully connects to the SpamBayes POP3 proxy when I ask it to
send/receive (as witnessed by the active connections and connections this
session counting up with each Send/Receive I do) but it doesn't retrieve any
email, even though I've sent myself some - unlikely that there wouldn't be a
spam sitting there after a few minutes anyway }:(   .
This is the status panel from the Web Interface:
------------------
POP3 proxy running on 110, proxying to mail.hunterlink.net.au:110.
Active POP3 conversations: 1.
POP3 conversations this session: 1.
Emails classified this session: 0 spam, 0 ham, 0 unsure.
Total emails trained: Spam: 0 Ham: 0

Database has no training information. SpamBayes will classify all messages
as 'unsure', ready for you to train.
-------------------

OE6 timesout after 2 minutes with the follwoing error report:
--------------------
A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account:
'mail.hunterlink.net.au', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
---------------------

I have a feeling it isn't successfully connecting to my ISP's mail server.
I'm also running Norton Antivirus 8.07.17C with email scanning as part of
Norton Internet Security 2002 V4.0 and suspect it's email proxy could be
causing my problem.
I've tried logging into Nortons as the admin account which doesn't impose
any web site restrictions. I've also tried turning off the incoming email
scanning to no avail.
When I turn off both Nortons AV email scanning and disable Internet security
(ie firewall etc) SpamBayes does retrieve and log emails (seems as quick as
without it).
I'm messing with the internet access for applications in nortons at the
moment but any ideas would be appreciated.