[Spambayes] Problem with POP3 Proxy: [PROBLEM SUMMARY]

papaDoc papaDoc at videotron.ca
Sun May 2 10:06:26 EDT 2004

Hi,

>G'day guys!
>Firstly its a great looking piece of software!

Thanks

>Secondly I can't get it to succesfully retrieve emails from my ISP mail
>server,
>
>I am using :
>SpamBayes POP3 Proxy Version 1.0b1 (April 2004) (binary), with
>Version 2.3.3 (#51, Feb 13 2004, 14:39:56) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] of
>Python;
>My operating system is Windows 4.10.67766446.1 ( A ).
>My email client is Outlook Express V 6.00.2800.1123
>I have trained 0 ham and 0 spam.
>
>I've setup my email account in OE6 to talk to "localhost" and left it at
>port 110 for incoming email only.
>I have configured SpamBayes to proxy mail.hunterlink.net.au (which was a cut
>and paste of my incoming email server) on port 110 .
>OE6 successfully connects to the SpamBayes POP3 proxy when I ask it to
>send/receive (as witnessed by the active connections and connections this
>session counting up with each Send/Receive I do) but it doesn't retrieve any
>email, even though I've sent myself some - unlikely that there wouldn't be a
>spam sitting there after a few minutes anyway }:(   .
>This is the status panel from the Web Interface:
>------------------
>POP3 proxy running on 110, proxying to mail.hunterlink.net.au:110.
>Active POP3 conversations: 1.
>POP3 conversations this session: 1.
>Emails classified this session: 0 spam, 0 ham, 0 unsure.
>Total emails trained: Spam: 0 Ham: 0
>

>-------------------
>
>OE6 timesout after 2 minutes with the follwoing error report:
>--------------------
>A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account:
>'mail.hunterlink.net.au', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
>Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
>---------------------
>

>I have a feeling it isn't successfully connecting to my ISP's mail server.
>I'm also running Norton Antivirus 8.07.17C with email scanning as part of
>Norton Internet Security 2002 V4.0 and suspect it's email proxy could be
>causing my problem.
>I've tried logging into Nortons as the admin account which doesn't impose
>any web site restrictions. I've also tried turning off the incoming email
>scanning to no avail.
>When I turn off both Nortons AV email scanning and disable Internet security
>(ie firewall etc) SpamBayes does retrieve and log emails (seems as quick as
>without it).
>I'm messing with the internet access for applications in nortons at the
>moment but any ideas would be appreciated.

I think Norton AV is also a proxy for the mail. and sit between you and
your ISP

So now you have Spambayes and Norton AV fighting for the same email.

You should have a configuration like this

ISP --------  Spambayes ---------- Norton AV ----- You

or
ISP port 110 ------ Spambays port 6110 -------  Norton AV port  8110
---- You
So The spambayes configuration should be:
POP3 proxy running on 6110, proxying to mail.hunterlink.net.au:110.
NortonAV proxy running  on port 8110 ,  proxying to localhost:6110
and finally your email client (OE) should connect to localhost port 8110

Remi

--
/"\
\ /