[Spambayes] (no subject)

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue May 11 11:08:16 EDT 2004

[Colin]
> I looked in the FAQ's to see how SpamBayes relates to existing
> Outlook rules. I've just downloaded SpamBayes for a trial.
>
> I have a number of these rules in place, and want to know how to
> use/ignore them. Most of my rules relate to moving to a sub folder
> which sorts my mail nicely, but I had some very effective rules
> relating to junk, which I had built up over the years.
>
> What I want to know is whether SpamBayes evaluates mail before or
> after Outlook rules are applied.

Microsoft didn't document when exactly rules get executed.  By obvservation,
sometimes Outlook tells spambayes about a new message before rules on that
message fire, sometimes after, sometimes both before and after, and (rarely)
not at all.  Heh -- some guidance <wink>.  The most likely outcome also
seems to depend on specific Outlook version and system load.

If you go to the Advanced tab of the SpamBayes manager dialog, you can
enable "background filtering", and fiddle some time parameters.  The effect
of this is to slow SpamBayes down.  If you set the delays long enough,
Outlook rules should reliably run before SpamBayes is told about new msgs.
No reliable way is known to get Spambayes to run before Outlook rules fire.