[Spambayes] The joys of error messages.

papaDoc papaDoc at videotron.ca
Wed May 12 08:49:30 EDT 2004

Hi Arvid,

>On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 11:45:35AM -0400, papaDoc wrote:
>

>>Usually this mean that there is a problem with the database and you will
>>probably need to retrain from scratch.
>>

>I see these corrupt database questions quite often on this list.
>
>How come the answer to a corrupt database is always "retrain
>from scratch"?

There is other way but it is more involving.
Convert the database to plain text. Look at the values and correct them
if possible
and if you were able to spot the problem.

>I know it's not spambayes' job to make backups,

You are right.

>but a simple weekly backup for people who don't normally make
>backups wouldn't be too hard to fit into the program, would it?

My mail server has only a 80Meg disk and the database has 4Meg. I need
the space
and I don't want to use space on this server for backup.

The backup should be the job of the users. There is too much possibility
of configuration so
finding a good default backup policy is not obvious.

And finally this is a spam filter not a backup program.

>I mean losing the email, the vacation pictures and all the work
>is one thing, having to retrain spambayes... that would be
>horrible!

If the database is corrupted you don't loose your mail. You just loose
the information of
how to classify the new email  with respect to the old email.

>I don't know how common these corrupt databases are. Maybe it's
>not an issue. It hasn't happened to me yet, but when it does,
>I'll just cp .hammiedb.backup .hammidb ;)

You see it is easy for you.
For me I must mount a partition, copy the files to a remote file server
using ssh, etc....

Remi

--
/"\