[Spambayes] What performance is good?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu May 13 22:43:11 EDT 2004

> How much do you expect to see in Junk Suspects?

Good results would be 2-5% of total incoming mail, IMO.

> I get about 15% ham.  All the ham goes in Inbox (I had one
> ham in Junk Suspects last week), along with 1 or 2 spam,
> which is beautiful.  25% to 30% of incoming mail goes in Junk
> Suspects.  Is that reasonable?

Are you displaying the scores for these messages?  If so, do they all tend
to score over a certain value?  You might find, for example, that you can
simply reduce the spam threshold (say to 80%) and the problem goes away.
What do you have the thresholds set for now?  (SpamBayes->SpamBayes
Manager->iltering)

> My database is unbalanced (36 ham/84 spam), so I'm only
> training on ham in Junk Suspects (i.e., hardly ever).  Should
> I be seeking ham to train on?

IMO, that's not imbalanced enough to worry about.

=Tony Meyer

---