[Spambayes] RE: [spambayes-bugs] X-Spambayes-Exception problem

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat May 15 22:58:56 EDT 2004

[Note that spambayes-bugs is a list for automated mail tracking the
bugs/feature requests/patches handled by the sourceforge system.  Mail like
this should be directed to spambayes at python.org.  You can find a description
of the various lists at <http://spambayes.org/contact.html>]

> I've been running Spambayes for a while with great success.
> Recently, several messages, identified as spam through the web
> interface, get through my mailer's filter because no

> header is added to the message. Instead, they have:

> decoding error: ordinal
>           not in range(128)) in append() at
>           /usr/lib/python2.2/email/Header.py line 230: ustr =
>           unicode(s, incodec)

This means that SpamBayes failed to parse the message, because it was
invalid in some way.  SpamBayes does what it can to handle invalid messages,
but sometimes the message is so invalid that it fails, so it adds the header
indicating that this was the case, and continues on.

What version of SpamBayes are you using?  We try and address new ways that
spammers come up with mangling messages so that they don't become a simple
way around the filtering.  I thought I recalled that something like this was
fixed a wee while back (but could be wrong).  If you're not using 1.0b1 or
1.0rc1, it'd be worth upgrading.

Some time later in the year (after 1.0 comes out), it's likely that
SpamBayes will handle messages like this much better, whatever the
malformation (thanks to improvements in the underlying email library that
SpamBayes uses).  Until then, it does what it can.

> Several of them appear to have strange characters throughout
> the spam (weird encoding?), others are plain text. Spambayes
> id's them as spam, but somehow fails to tag them as such...

What makes you say that SpamBayes identifies them as spam?  From this, it
seems like SpamBayes is failing to identify them as anything, and tagging
them as such.

=Tony Meyer

---