[Spambayes] Virus software and SpamBayes

papaDoc papaDoc at videotron.ca
Mon May 17 13:47:10 EDT 2004

Hi Chris

> I recently installed your guys software into Outlook and I think it is
> the greatest thing in a long while. I plan on installing it on the
> other computers in my network. I want to contribute to the effort you
> guys have done and was wondering what you guys usually see for
> donations. I don't want to be cheap.

Just giving something will be good (time, money, beers, etc) since it is
free. Making a donation , will put you on the "not cheap" side !

> It just got me to thinking and I don't want open anything that is
> infected if I don't have to.

To be infected by a virus you need to execute the code/file. What
Spambayes does is open the file for reading without trying to execute
the file.
In some software (like Outlook) clicking on the file means: "Try to find
the best software to read/execute the file depending on the extension".

So don't  worry, there is no problem with Spambayes reading an email
with a virus. I have almost 600 emails in my spam folder and my virus
scanner
complains for almost 400 of them. But I was not infected by those virus
even if Spambayes read them.

Remi

--
/"\