[Spambayes] Shelve database corruption?

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ontopia.net
Wed May 19 06:11:39 EDT 2004

I recently got the problem that on some emails SpamBayes throws an
exception, and the email does not get classified at all. The result is
that SpamBayes catches some of my spam, but when this error happens
the spam gets through, and it seems to happen for about half of the
messages.

I got this problem while running SpamBayes 1.0a7, and tried to solve
it by upgrading to SpamBayes 1.0rc1, but that made no difference.

The traceback I get is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scripts/sb_server.py", line 472, in onRetr
    msg.setId(state.getNewMessageName())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/message.py", line 258, in setId
    msginfoDB._getState(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/message.py", line 118, in _getState
    attributes = self.db[msg.getId()]
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/shelve.py", line 70, in __getitem__
    f = StringIO(self.dict[key])
error: (-30981, 'Unknown error 4294936315')

What I'm looking for is some idea of what's wrong with the shelve
database so that I can fix the corruption. I've trained SpamBayes on
37,000 emails, so the idea of starting again from scratch is not
appealing...

Help would be *much* appreciated, since I'm now back to drowning in
spam again. :-(