[Spambayes] Spam Prefiltering

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat May 22 17:32:35 EDT 2004

I just discovered that my sysadmin was pre-filtering my incoming
mail.  Man, it's amazing how much spam I'm getting!  The problem is
that it was going into a mailbox I was using for nightly training:

  DA> Hi Andrey,

  DA> Have you got some kind of spam filtering going on our accounts,
  DA> in addition to what I'm doing personally with SpamBayes?  My
  DA> SpamBox mailbox has practically doubled in size over the past
  DA> week, and I don't have any rules that put messages in there --
  DA> I'm only using it for training SpamBayes.  Is there some other
  DA> automated system putting messages in there? Since no new
  DA> messages are going into my HamBox, they're getting
  DA> out-of-balance, which throws the training off.

  DA> Thanks,
  DA> Dave

  I'm using several blacklists (spamcop, spamhaus etc.)
  When mail is coming from IP address in these lists, Communigate
  adds suffix 'blacklisted' to the address of recipient. After that
  it's possible to:

  1) deliver mail to SpamBox (as it going now)
  2) deliver mail to Inbox
  3) reject mail

  I can route all mail to your Inbox, if you want it.

So now the question is, what to do?  Clearly I don't want to route
these into my spam training folder automatically unless I have a way
to balance them with Ham.  Will I get better results from SpamBayes if
I give it a chance to learn from these messages (i.e. send it to my
INBOX and let SpamBayes filter them), or should I just discard them?

Any Advice appreciated.
--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting