[Spambayes] Spam Prefiltering

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat May 22 21:50:26 EDT 2004

> So now the question is, what to do?  Clearly I don't want to route
> these into my spam training folder automatically unless I have a way
> to balance them with Ham.  Will I get better results from SpamBayes if
> I give it a chance to learn from these messages (i.e. send it to my
> INBOX and let SpamBayes filter them), or should I just discard them?

What sort of results are you getting?  If you are happy with them, then I'd
say there was no reason to change.

If you're getting false positives from the blacklisting, then I'd recommend
dumping it.  However, as long as you don't go with the "reject it" option,
the mail is still there, so at least you can find it (if it's mail you're
expecting, for example).

Are there important time factors?  I assume that the blacklisting is running
on a server, and SpamBayes is running locally.  Would the extra volume of
mail through SpamBayes have a significant effect on the time it took to
filter incoming mail?

Are there important bandwidth factors?  I also assume that the mail is
stored remotely, so mail handled by the blacklisting system is never
transferred to your local system (unless you manually look at it).  If
SpamBayes has to handle it, this means a lot more traffic.  Does that
matter?

Try classifying some of the blacklisted messages.  If they're classed as
spam without training on them, then there probably isn't any worthwhile
information in there anyway.

This is just my 2c, of course.  Maybe you could try feeding them all to
SpamBayes for a while, see how that goes, and decide after that?

=Tony Meyer

---