[Spambayes] RE: migrating SpamBayes from Windows to Linux

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat May 22 23:38:18 EDT 2004

[Note that you're more likely to have success asking questions via the
spambayes at python mailing list than you are with
c.l.p/python-list at python.org.  You're also more likely to receive a response
if your reply address works.]

> I have been trying Linux on-and-off for a couple of years but
> keep going back to Windows out of frustration.   I have been
> using the Outlook plug-in for over a year and now that I am
> playing around with Linux
> again the first thing I did was install SpamBayes.  I am
> looking for some easy way to migrate the existing database
> from Windows to Linux so I don't have to retrain from scratch.

You can possibly just copy the database file over
(default_bayes_database.db, which you can rename to hammie.db if you like).
If that doesn't work (depends on the dbm versions installed), then you can
use the sb_dbexpimp.py script.  You'll probably have to run it on the
Windows machine (which means installing Python if it's not already there,
and getting the source archive) to get a successful conversion to either csv
or a pickle.  Then copy that across and convert back.

=Tony Meyer

---