[Spambayes] IMAP enhancement requests and problems seen...

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue May 25 03:31:27 EDT 2004

> As an enhancement, can you add a "hamfolder" configuration
> option that would allow ham to be moved to that folder?

This will definitely be added post-1.0.  The code's all done (contributed by
someone, although the name escapes me right now), but I was hesitant about
adding it between a beta and a release-candidate/final.

There's a tracker here:
<http://sf.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=836642&group_id=61702&atid=
498106>
Although I thought there was another one, too, which I can't find.  This one
will be closed when it's done, anyway, if you want to monitor it.

> A problem that I seem to have with spambayes, running the
> imapfilter, is that occasionally the script exits saying
> "Invalid server or port, please check these settings". I
> added some debug and the server is in-fact my mail server and
> the port is 143. This fails, BTW, after days of running just
> fine. Any ideas?

This is a bug of sorts, at the least.  The code currently prints out that
error if *anything* goes wrong during the initialisation of the IMAP
connection.  It should really only print it out if that is actually the
problem.  I'll fix this when I get a chance (I've opened a tracker so I
remember).

<http://sf.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=959937&group_id=61702&atid=
498103>

Of course, that doesn't answer the question as to what *is* going wrong.
Maybe the server's unavailable temporarily, or something?

[...]
> I ran with the "-b" option, and under the advanced config,
> changed it from "dbm" to "pickle" for the database, saved,
> and then re-ran with the "-b" option and now, when I go to
> "More Statistics" I do not get an error. However, it says
> that no messages have been processed.

This is very odd.  What does your (token) database (i.e. hammie.db) use,
pickle or dbm?  The stats one should be the same, which is dbm if you've
never changed it.

> Also, on the main page, it still says zero for all the
> entries (# spam, # ham, #trained, etc).

The "this session" numbers will always be zero at the moment.  This is also
on the list to be fixed.  The "total trained" numbers should definitely not
be zero, though.

> Do I need to specify a path or something, for the database file?

By default the one the stats uses gets called spambayes.messageinfo.db and
be in the same directory as your configuration file.  The one that the
"total trained" numbers comes from is called "hammie.db" and should be in
the same directory.  You can specify them manually, though (and I believe
this is exposed via the configuration page).

This does sound like they're not finding the same database files.  Maybe
they're not using the same configuration file?  The top of the configuration
page says where the file is located, although that won't find the one that
the regular running one uses (but if it's not in the BAYESCUSTOMIZE
environment variable, or .spambayesrc in ~, then it'll assume
bayescustomize.ini in the current working directory).

=Tony Meyer

---