[Spambayes] Web interface crashes; Old Hammie.db not used; but it still works!

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri May 28 02:02:10 EDT 2004

[...]
>  File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes/storage.py",
> line 140, in store
>     fp = open(self.db_name, 'wb')
>
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ''
>
> I'm running this on a Red Hat Linux 7.2 box. Everything
> worked fine in SB a9. This problem started in the beta, but
> I bit my tongue until the next release came out, and now it's
> happening in RC1 also.

It's fine to let us know when a new version breaks something that worked in
the old one - otherwise we may never know about it, and it's more than
likely that it'll persist into future ones.

[...]
> Oh yes, here's my ini file, at least the relevant part:
[...]
> #persistent_use_database:pickle
> persistent_storage_file=/var/install/spambayes/hammie.db
> messageinfo_storage_file=/var/install/spambayes/messageinfo.db

I'm guessing that what's happening is that it's not finding the ini file at
all.  The error message says that the problem occurred at line 140 of
storage.py, which handles storing when persistent_use_database *is* pickle,
and you've commented that line out, so if it was going off this config file,
it'd never get to that line.

However, pickle isn't the default, so presumably it *is* picking up some
other config file.  On Linux it looks for anything specified in the
BAYSECUSTOMIZE environment variable, then for a "bayescustomize.ini" file in
the current directory or a "~/.spambayesrc" file, and if those all fail,
then uses (a new) bayescustomize.ini in the current directory.  Could it be
finding an old config file in one of these places?

=Tony Meyer

---