[Spambayes] Re: [spambayes-dev] A query on Frequently Asked Question 4.6

Remi Ricard papaDoc at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 1 23:34:16 CET 2004

Hi Harry,

>      I'll try and answer your queries as well as I can.

Good

>"SpamBayes POP3 Proxy Version 1.0 (July 2004)
>Spambayes Web Interface, 19:32 on Monday November 01 2004. Spambayes.org
>

>     I don't know what you mean when you say, "If your use sb_server they should be...". Until I set the filter in 'Virtual Access' all of the spam had landed into my Inbox. Then with the filter in place they all wound up in that 'Spam' folder which was fine.
>     **** I've just noticed in the Advanced Configuration section...

With this info I can say that you are using a recent version of
sb_server (This is the command line name for the Spambayes POP3 proxy).

>>>Train when filtering: Train when filtering? After filtering a message, hammie can then train itself on the judgement (ham or spam). This can speed things up with a procmail-based solution. If you do enable this, please make sure to retrain any mistakes. Otherwise, your word database will slowly become
>>>

>useless.<<
>      ...I left that set at its default that is with the radio button at 'No'; which still reads as being the correct position but perhaps it should be at 'Yes'. Perhaps I'll try running it on 'yes' a bit later not at the moment till I hear from you.

The problem with this is if you receive more spam than ham your database
will be more and more unbalance.
I think you should enable this after you have train on some spam and ham
then turn this options off after you find SpamBayes to be accurate enough.

>>>    If so how do I go about accessing this that I might reduce the amount of
>>>spam to something near the same 'ham' figure of 1,725?
>>>

>>You can do it simply by not training on all spam that comes in.
>>The problem now is you can't reduce the number of spam you can only add
>>info to the database.
>>So you can train on more ham to have a balanced database.
>>

>      Oh, my goodness, by "...simply not training on all..."; so does the mean I should have been using the 'discard' radio buttons on lots, if not all of the spam that came in around the time that, "Warning: you have much more spam than ham - SpamBayes works best with approximately even numbers of ham and
>spam." message appeared? As you said, 'simply' - dumb.

Usually if there is a button in the web interface the button is there
for something ;-)

>===============
>

>>But I think, it might be better to start from scratch
>>

>     Will that be accomplished simply by an uninstall using Add/Remove programs and then a re-install?

As Tony said in another mail you can save/rename the old databases and
restart from scratch. If something breaks you will have the old
ones.
Look for the files hammie.db and spambayes.messageinfo.db in
c:\Documents and Settings\your_user_id\Application Data\Spambays\Proxy

> Why I'm asking that is, won't there be some data files that have to be cleared out too? Or will the Add/Remove action get rid of any such files?

I don't know since I'm using an old version installed from cvs (If it
works don't fix it)

Remi