[Spambayes] Re: [spambayes-dev] A query on Frequently Asked Question 4.6

Remi Ricard papaDoc at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 2 03:01:49 CET 2004

Hi Harry,

>>As Tony said in another mail you can save/rename the old databases and
>>restart from scratch. If something breaks you will have the old
>>ones.
>>Look for the files hammie.db and spambayes.messageinfo.db in
>>c:\Documents and Settings\your_user_id\Application Data\Spambays\Proxy
>>

>     I don't know where that email from Tony is located (if emailed me I may have lost it
>while dumping spam)

I forwarded the message to you. Usually Tony send a reply directly to
the person asking for info and a copy to the mailing list.

>     (I had to find them using Search - just looking in the Documents and Settings bit I
>couldn't see the 'Application Data' part of the path. There will be a way to show this as it
>must be hidden).

This directory by default is hiddent
Launch the explorer ("Windows key"-E)
Go to Tools->folder options
Then View
In the windows Select "Show-hidden  files and folder"

>==========
>

>>I don't know since I'm using an old version installed from cvs (If it
>>works don't fix it)
>>

>     That lost me somewhat.

What I was trying to say is I'm running an old version since my Linux
box (the one doing the filtering) as problem generating a db for my
windows box. (They don't use the same version of the database) and I
need a backup since I can't live whitout SpamBayes and sometime
my connection to my server at home dies and I do the filtering on the
windows machine at work.

>     At present when I try to run the *Review Messages* it no longer sends the spam to that
>'Spam' folder as it did for weeks and weeks. What it does is break down and presents me with
>a short page that looks like this...
>
>========
>

>>500 Server error
>>
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>
>>  File "spambayes\Dibbler.pyc", line 461, in found_terminator
>>
>>  File "spambayes\ProxyUI.pyc", line 391, in onReview
>>
>>  File "spambayes\Corpus.pyc", line 214, in takeMessage
>>
>>  File "spambayes\FileCorpus.pyc", line 140, in addMessage
>>
>>  File "spambayes\Corpus.pyc", line 134, in addMessage
>>
>>  File "spambayes\storage.pyc", line 588, in onAddMessage
>>
>>  File "spambayes\storage.pyc", line 598, in train
>>
>>  File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 260, in setId
>>
>>  File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 118, in _getState
>>
>>  File "shelve.pyc", line 118, in __getitem__
>>
>>  File "bsddb\__init__.pyc", line 116, in __getitem__
>>
>>DBRunRecoveryError: (-30982, 'DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
>>recovery -- fatal region error detected; run recovery')
>>

>===========
>     ...I'm not sure if I've already shown that error message you. I have done to someone

Oupssss. Did you stop the server before moving/renaming the files.

><s>.
>     I have the feeling that the answer is in that last bit where it says, "run database
>recovery"; mainly because it tells me to <s>. But I don't know how.
>     Is it a case of going...    Start=>Run=>cmd  and then in the resulting black-background
>box - which would then be showing  c:\Documents and Settings\Harry Sigerson>  - that I type
>in DB_RUNRECOVERY   and enter it?

This is copied form a previous mail from Tony
-----

This means that your database is corrupted, and cannot be recovered (despite
the wording of the message).  You need to delete the database file and start
training again.  The configuration page tells you where the database file
is, but it's most likely to be called "hammie.db" and be in the same place
as your configuration file.  This is probably C:\Documents and
Settings\[user]\Application Data\SpamBayes\Proxy.  Simply delete the
"hammie.db" and "spambayes.messageinfo.db" files, and all should work again.

Database corruption is quite uncommon these days, but we're not certain how
it can be caused.  Do you have any idea what might have caused yours?  Did
SpamBayes or your computer crash while training, or something like that?
Note that it might not have been just before the error occurred - sometimes

>     This is the area that I am not too conversant with. I am reluctant to act blindly in
>case I totally banjax this machine.
>     That was why I thought to go down the reinstall route since I have that latest upgrade
>stashed away in a partition full of self-extracting application files.

This can be a safe route....

Remi
P.S. If you send the message directly to the mailing list there is more
chance to have good answer ;-). Since I have subscribed to the mailing
list I will see the message (But you can still send it also to me).