[Spambayes] Question about Spambay

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Nov 4 00:05:07 CET 2004

> someome here cannot seem to keep certain emails on his
> 'good' list.  He recovers them from the junk folder and
> then he gets another one in there.

Please see FAQs 4.7, 4.8 and 4.9:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#why-did-spambayes-mark-this-obvious-spam-unsu
re>
<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#ok-i-trained-on-that-message-but-it-still-thi
nks-it-s-unsure>
<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#spambayes-doesn-t-seem-to-catch-much-spam-wha
t-gives>

> How does he view the list that he has made?
> To make sure that the right people are on it?

That isn't how SpamBayes works.  What you are referring to is called a
"whitelist" - FAQ 6.6 discusses why SpamBayes does not include whitelisting:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#why-don-t-you-add-whitelisting-blacklisting-t
o-spambayes>

What would be of use to you is viewing the 'clues' for the misclassified
messages (*before* any training on them is done).  You can do this via the
"Show spam clues for this message" function from the SpamBayes button on the
toolbar.  This will show you the 'clues' that SpamBayes used to make the
classification decision that it made.  If you don't understand them, feel
free to send an example message on to the list and someone will try and help
make it more clear.