[Spambayes] RE: [spambayes-dev] wish: keep spam-mail from downloading to OE6

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Nov 4 23:40:13 CET 2004

> Is it possible to not send mail marked "spam" to OE but
> instead just keep it in the SB's cache. While
> training I still can view these messages if I want to.

This can't really be done with just a POP3 proxy.  Basically, OE asks the
server how many messages there are to download and then asks to download
each of them.  To not retrieve spam, sb_server would either have to modify
the message count or fail to deliver the message when asked.

The former can't be done, because SpamBayes doesn't know the classification
of messages until it retrieves them (it needs the whole message to tell).
To correctly modify the list, it would have to classify *all* messages just
to get the list, which isn't practical.

The latter doesn't work, because then the mailer (e.g. OE) doesn't
understand why the message failed to download and will report this as an
error.

One way to achieve the same result would be to have a filter periodically
run that connects to your POP3 server, classifies all the messages, and
removes the spam.  An example of such a filter is on the wiki
<http://entrian.com/sbwiki> and in the SpamBayes source (CVS and,
eventually, 1.1).  This is more complex to run, however, and doesn't really
suit most situations.

> PS I somehow can't get the auto-train option to work

What option?  Do you mean [Hammie] train_on_filter ?  If so, that's not an
option that's available to sb_server - pretty much all options relevant to
sb_server are available via the web interface.