[Spambayes] A most peculair problem with SB 1

Robert Neuschul robert at imagine.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 04:53:46 CET 2004

Sorry if you're seeing this message for the 2nd time.

Hi

I've just encountered a strange problem: SB up to and including RC1 ran
perfectly well on our old Windows server. Having had to build a new
2003 server I wanted to setup Spambayes, and decided to take advantage
of the new full release.

I installed version 2.3.3 of Python.org's Python, added the relevant
PyWin for 2.3.3 from Sourceforge, and downloaded the full SB 1
Sourcecode version.

SB was then expanded to a temp directory alongside Python's install
directory, and from there I ran "python setup.py install" - which duly
compiles and copies everything it says it wants into the relevant Python
subdirectories.
Having got that far I then wanted to install the POP3 proxy service:
opening a DOS session at the Python/Scripts directory and running
"python pop3proxy_service.py install" returns several errors [see
below] which I can't interpret.

C:\Python23\Scripts>python pop3proxy_service.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python23\Scripts\pop3proxy_service.py", line 82, in ?
    import sb_server
  File "C:\Python23\Scripts\sb_server.py", line 104, in ?
    import spambayes.message
  File "c:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\message.py", line 215,
in ?
    msginfoDB = MessageInfoPickle(message_info_db_name)
  File "c:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\message.py", line 147,
in __init
__
    self.load()
  File "c:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\message.py", line 159,
in load
    self.db = pickle.load(fp)
  File "c:\Python23\lib\pickle.py", line 1390, in load
    return Unpickler(file).load()
  File "c:\Python23\lib\pickle.py", line 872, in load
    dispatch[key](self)
KeyError: '\x00'

Note that every file referenced in those error messages does actually
exist in the Python directory tree.

Thinking I'd made a serious error, or misconfigured something somewhere
I decided to uninstall Python and SB entirely, reboot and try again
with the pre-compiled version of SB1. This time any attempt to run the
server returns similar but not identical errors.

C:\SpamBayes\bin>sb_server
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sb_server.py", line 104, in ?
  File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 215, in ?
  File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 147, in __init__
  File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 159, in load
  File "pickle.pyc", line 1390, in load
  File "pickle.pyc", line 872, in load
KeyError: '\x00'

I'm now completely baffled: can anyone offer any clues as to what's
going on? None of the previous versions have ever given me any trouble
with installation - both on Win 2000 server and on Win 2003 server, so I
really don't understand this.

Many thanks,

Robert Neuschul