[Spambayes] Problem with POP3 Proxy: [unsure how to make SpamBayescheck new mail]

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Nov 15 05:06:30 CET 2004

> The problem I am having is I have only very basic knowledge
> of computing and have no idea what I need to do in order for
> SpamBayes to start checking incoming mail and what happens to
> the mail one sorted between ham and spam.

You need to go to the SpamBayes configuration page and enter your incoming
mail server details (I suspect you have done this).  Since you are using
Outlook Express, you will also need to tick the "unsure" and "spam" boxes
for the "Notate Subject" and/or "Notate To" options.

You then need to change Outlook Express to collect mail via SpamBayes.  You
do this by doing Tools->Accounts->Mail, selecting your mail account, then
click Properties, then Servers.  Change the incoming server to "localhost".

This should then have all incoming mail classified as ham, spam, or unsure.
This classification will appear in the subject and/or to headers, depending
on which option you used above.  You can then set up an Outlook Express rule
(like any other rule) to (eg) move these messages somewhere appropriate.

The classification you do on the "review" page on the web interface is
*training* SpamBayes, so that it understands what mail you want, and what
you don't.  You should update this periodically, especially if there are any
errors.

=Tony.Meyer