[Spambayes] How to save Spambayes filter ?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 23 00:06:40 CET 2004

> but how can I save the filter if I am to change my PC ?

Please see FAQ 3.6:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#can-i-share-move-my-training-data-from-one-co
mputer-to-another>

> Does the filter grow ... grow ... grow or is it possible to
> "compact" it ?

In typical operation the database only grows.  However, it will only get
larger when new tokens are found - after a certain amount of training new
tokens are reasonably rare, and so it doesn't grow all that quickly,
particularly if you use an effectively training strategy (e.g. see
<http://entrian.com/sbwiki/TrainingIdeas>).

Since SpamBayes learns _very_ quickly, it's simple to just retrain from
scratch if you find that the database has grown too large.  There has been
some discussion about pruning the database on the developers' list, but not
recently, and with no real resolution (mostly because of the lack of need, I
suspect).

> What if I migrate from Outlook XP to Outlook 2003 concerning the
> filter, can I keep it or will I have to start from 0 ?

If it's on the same machine, with the same (Windows) username, then you
shouldn't need to do anything at all, and your training data should still be
there.  If it's a different machine/username, then you'll need to copy the
database over (see FAQ 3.6), but that's easy to do.