[Spambayes] why doesn't the pop3 proxy filter all messages?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Nov 26 03:26:18 CET 2004

> Ok, it looks like the problem is the CAPA command from
> eudora.  It looks like this is confusing the proxy server.

This should not be the case.  CAPA should work, although it should strip out
PIPELINING and STLS if they are present in the server's response.  You
should be able to telnet to the proxy and give it a "CAPA" command and get a
response.  Does that work?

> My hypothesis is that if I can get Eudora to not send the
> CAPA command, that we should work better.  Does this sound
> reasonable?

If there is a problem with the CAPA command (it's possible, although
unlikely, since I can't see how this wouldn't have hit many people already),
then it's a SpamBayes problem, so we need to fix something.

> Ok, when I set never for secure sockets when receiving
> options, then the CAPA is not sent and it looks like
> things work.

I presume you weren't actually using SSL (TLS) in any case, since that
wouldn't have worked through the proxy.

I still don't understand:

  (a) Why CAPA is causing problems
  (b) How mail can be delivered if the proxy dies after a CAPA (is there a
second, direct, connection to the mail server?)