[Spambayes] "Check for new version" proxy settings?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Nov 26 05:25:05 CET 2004

> The release notes for 1.0.1 talk about putting proxy detail
> in the configuration file.
>
> But I can't find any information on what file and what
> information needs to be put there in what format.
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers on how to do this.

Firstly, if the "Check for new version" function already works for you, then
you don't need to do this.  The information can usually be retrieved
automatically and so you don't need to do anything.

Secondly, if all you have is the location of an 'autoconfigure' script (as
IE uses, but also supported by Firefox and others), that won't work.
Supporting those is a lot of work, and not really worth it just for a
version check.

However, if it doesn't currently work, and you have the proxy's address (and
optionally a username & password), then you need to put these in the
'default_bayes_customize.ini' file (for Outlook) or
'Proxy\bayescustomze.ini' file (for non-Outlook) that's in your data
directory (the FAQ explains where to find that).

Add these lines to the start or end of the file:

[globals]
proxy_username:foo
proxy_password:bar
proxy_server:proxy.example.com:8891

If you don't need a username/password, then those can be left out.  If the
port is 8880, then you can leave the colon and port off the end of the
server name.