[Spambayes] Spambayes stopped working?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 1 01:29:24 CEST 2004

[Ian]
> Yes I've been using http://localhst:8880. And I've been
> using the same shortcuts, etc. for many months without
> trouble, until a week ago.
>
> Following your suggestion, I tried http://127.0.0.1:8880
> to no avail. Again, I get the HTTP error 500 internal
> server error message.

I know Richie has suggested this before, but I don't recall seeing an
answer: it really looks like it's your (also new) firewall that is blocking
the page.  If you're using the default 'protocol level' of 'nervous' or
'paranoid' (according to the BlackIce manual) then port 8880 will probably
be blocked.

Try adding 127.0.0.1 to the trusted list in BlackIce:

[I haven't used BlackIce, but this is what the 3.6 manual has]
1. From the Main Menu, select Tools->Edit BlackICE Settings.
2. Select the Intrusion Detection tab.
3. Click Add.
The Exclude from Reporting window appears.
4. Type the IP address (127.0.0.1) in the IP box.
5. Click OK.

Or just specifying the port as unblocked:

1. From the Tools menu, select Advanced Firewall Settings.
2. Click Add.
The Add Firewall Entry window appears.
3. Type a name for the port (e.g. "SpamBayes web interface") in the Name
field.
4. Type the port number (8880) in the Port field.
5. Select the port type (TCP) in the Type field.
6. In the Mode area, select Accept.
The BlackICE application opens the port.
7. In the Duration of Rule area, select the length of time to unblock the
port.
[I presume there will be an 'unlimited' option, or something]
8. Click Add.
BlackICE adds the entry to the list in the Advanced Firewall Settings
window.