[Spambayes] High % spam messages staying in the Inbox

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 1 19:05:44 CEST 2004

Faina, Mihail wrote:
> I still have this problem. Take a look at the log bellow - "Improve
> your Outlook on Life" message. It was scored as 100% spam and stayed
> in the InBox until I moved it - "deleted as spam". Curious part is
> this:
>      1. Has a Spam classification of "Yes". -> good, score 100%.
>      2. TRAINING (I haven't done anything for this training session to
> start!!) - IT IS TRAINED AS GOOD!! -> How is the question?
>      3. Moving (be deleting it as "Spam" by me) ->now is retrained as
> SPAM.
>
> If somebody can explain the second step maybe I will have solution
> for my problem.
> 		Thanks, Mihail
>
> Message 'Improve Your Outlook On Life ' in 'Personal Folders/Inbox'
> had a Spam classification of 'Yes'
> Message 'Time to dump I.E.' in 'Personal Folders/Inbox' had a Spam
> classification of 'No'
> Training on message 'Improve Your Outlook On Life ' in 'Personal
> Folders/Inbox -  trained as good
> Moving and spam training message 'Improve Your Outlook On Life ' -
> Training on message 'Improve Your Outlook On Life ' in 'Personal
> Folders/Inbox - trained as spam
> Ignoring OnCommand for IDC_RECOVER_RS
> Ignoring OnCommand for IDC_RECOVER_RS
> Ignoring OnCommand for IDC_RECOVER_RS
> Ignoring OnCommand for IDC_RECOVER_RS
> Ignoring OnCommand for IDC_RECOVER_RS

Could you include the complete logfile containing these messages?  To make
the logfiles more useful, it would be great if you could set your verbosity
to at least 2.  Go to the Advanced tab in SpamBayes Manager and click the
Diagnostics button to change this.  Then send in all of your spambayes?.log
files the next time this happens.

It sounds like you possibly have some Outlook rules running, but without the
SpamBayes background filtering option turned on.  By default, SpamBayes
trains any spam message that is moved into the Inbox as good.  The reason
for this is that it assumes you must be dragging an incorrectly classified
message out of the spam folder.  See the Incremental Training section on the
Training tab for options to control this.

Without the background filtering option, it is possible for SpamBayes to
analyze a message and move it to the Spam folder before Outlook rules are
processed.  It is then possible for the Outlook rules to cause the message
to be moved back out of the Spam folder.  SpamBayes sees this and thinks you
are doing "drag-and-drop" training, so trains the message as good.

--
Kenny Pitt