[Spambayes] Spambayes stopped working?

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Sat Oct 2 21:46:49 CEST 2004

[Ian]
> Richie, your memory was perfect, although I needed to use port 8880. (I had
> a connection refused error when I tried just 80)

Sorry, I should have said 8880 in the first place.  Well translated.  8-)

> I got several screen fulls of text/HTML after typing GET / HTTP/0.9

Good.  I think I know what your problem is, and I'm annoyed at myself for
not realising sooner.  I think your Internet Explorer is configured to use
a proxy to access the web, and it doesn't know that it needs to bypass
that proxy to reach localhost.  Possibly that proxy is something to do
with your firewall, or your virus scanner, or a download accelerator, or
your ISP.

In Internet Explorer, go Tools, Internet Options, Connections.  If you're
on dialup, select your ISP's name in the list and click Settings.  If
you're on broadband or a local network, click LAN Settings.  If the "Use a
proxy server" box is not checked, I'm wrong about all this.  Hopefully it
/is/ checked and you can click the Advanced button next to it.  In "Do not
use proxy server for addresses beginning with" add "localhost" (without
the quotes, and separated from any existing entries by a semicolon).
Click OK in all the dialogs, kill any Internet Explorers you have running,
start a new Internet Explorer, and try again.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com