[Spambayes] uncomfortable pauses with outlook plugin...

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Oct 13 04:06:42 CEST 2004

> Though the filtering works just fine, I find that moving a
> message from the Unsure folder to the Spam folder usually
> (but not always) makes the entire system seem to freeze for 2
> or 3 seconds. The old system never did this.
[...]
> 1. This is typical with the current version (I was still
> using a beta on the old computer)?

Not as far as I am aware (I imagine that other people would have complained
about this if it were).

> 2. Is there a setting that is more likely to make this happen?

Not as far as I am aware.

> 3. Are there a few things I should be checking for and
> getting back to this list with?

There are two things that are happening when you move the message (assuming
that you're using the "Delete as Spam" button or have the incremental
training option on): moving and training.

To check which one it is, try turning incremental training off (Training tab
in the SpamBayes Manager) and drag the message to the Spam folder.  This
will move without training.  If that's not slow, then it's training.  If it
is, then it's moving (or both).

If the slowness is in moving, then it's probably Outlook.  Is it moving to a
large pst file?  Is moving a message from some other folder to a folder on
the same store also slow?  Is this moving to a folder on an Exchange server?

If the slowness is training, how large is your database?  You can see how
many messages have been trained in the General tab of the SpamBayes Manager.
If you're using a fresh (therefore small) database, then this could be an
instance of a very rare bug we've seen (thrice) and can't duplicate where
there's a weird slowdown in using it.  If so, then simply retraining from
scratch will fix it (and you're extremely unlikely to ever come across it
again).

=Tony Meyer

---