[Spambayes] New VERIO Spam Filter causes "leaks"

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Sep 7 15:32:50 CEST 2004

    David> Verio now marks incoming messages with [SPAM] in the subject
    David> line. I have trainind and trained, and messages with that "word"
    David> in the subject line keep coming through to my inbox instead of
    David> being handled as spam by spambayes. How can I convince spambayes
    David> that those messages are spam?

Note that subject:SPAM is just a single clue to the classifier.  There are
other hammy tokens in the message that outweigh it.  Spambayes uses a
"preponderance of evidence" approach to classification.  No single token
will cause a message to be classified as either ham or spam in exclusion of
other tokens in a message.  How many spam and ham have you trained on total?
Can you post a set of clues for one of these Verio-tagged messages?  Are you
sure you haven't made any mistakes in your training and accidentally trained
some spam as ham?

Skip