[Spambayes] Exchange 2003 w/ Outlook 2003

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 20:15:31 CEST 2004

CIS wrote:
> I am in the process of implementing an Exchange 2003 system using
> Outlook 2003 as the interface.  I have installed the Spambayes
> software on the Outlook Clients.  The spam filter in Outlook 2003 is
> not being used.  What I have noticed is that mail sent internally
> (exchange user to exchange user within the system) will automatically
> get filtered as SPAM.
>
> Some users have taken upon themselves to train Spambayes to correct
> this, however I will eventually be dealing with 200+ users and many
> will not be happy with the idea of having to constantly check the
> Junk Email folder for internal email.

I assume from this statement that training SpamBayes did, in fact, correct
the problem?

> Is there a way to rectify this?  The object of the game is that
> Spambayes needs to recognize all internal mail a good mail

There is no direct way to do what you're asking.  Forcing all intermal mail
to be treated as good is about the same thing as doing whitelisting, which
we don't support.  See FAQ 6.6:

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#why-don-t-you-add-whitelisting-bla
cklisting-to-spambayes
or
http://tinyurl.com/34w5r

The first step in dealing with this problem is to figure out why SpamBayes
thinks these messages are spam.  The "object of the game" for SpamBayes is
to identify mail as ham or spam based on exactly what you've told it, so it
won't identify anything as spam unless it sees stuff in the message that
you've told it is spammy.  Use the "Show spam clues" command to see why
SpamBayes thinks the message is spam.  If you don't understand the clues,
you can always send a copy to this list and we can help you figure it out.

My company recently switched from a Unix-based POP3 mail server to Exchange
Server.  Because the header information on an internal Exchange message is
very different than typical SMTP header info, SpamBayes listed a lot of
internal messages as Unsure right after the switch.  However, I don't
remember that it ever went so far as to call any of the messages spam.

--
Kenny Pitt