[Spambayes] False Positives

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Sep 20 23:52:04 CEST 2004

> Sorry to insist, but you misunderstood the problem. I receive
> many messages from the email list and they are for most
> cough.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this.

> But about 20 of them are missed. They are sent from
> the list to the list, it is a closed group. SB caught all the
> list messages up to about 10 days ago.

It seems (although I don't understand the bit above) that what you're saying
is that about 20 emails (per day?) arrive in your inbox, which should be
classified as good mail, but SpamBayes mistakenly classifies them as spam
instead, moving them to the spam/junk folder.  However, this is exactly what
I answered last time, so perhaps I still don't get it.

If I'm still wrong, please try sending a message (to "spambayes at python.org")
that describes in great details what happens, and what is meant to happen.
For example:

"""
I'm using SpamBayes 1.0rc2 with Microsoft Outlook 2002 with WindowsXP.  Mail
arrives in my Inbox, and then immediately vanishes and I can't find it
again.  It should stay in the inbox because this is mail that I want to
read.
"""

The more detail that we have, the easier it is to understand what's going
wrong.

If my description above is correct, then the original answer stands - this
is answered by FAQ 4.7:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#why-did-spambayes-mark-this-obvious-spam-unsu
re>

Basically, SpamBayes is governed by the training that individuals do - so
the only way for us to understand why a message scores what it does is to
see the clues that were used.

> Yu said no to send
> email to you, to send them to the SB list, sorry, but I have
> no idea of how to do this.

Just type "spambayes at python.org" in the list of addresses to send the
message to, just like you did with the original message.  Your email client
almost certainly also has a "reply all" command, which will do this for you.

> Sometime back I tried to join the list, and I could not.

Why not?  There are no restrictions on joining - did you have trouble with
the procedure, or some other problem like not receiving the confirmation
email?

Note that you do not have to be subscribed to the list to send messages to
it.

> It just seems a shame that little problem I have, and the FAQ
> does not deal with this problem.

The FAQ (as the name suggests) only covers questions that are frequently
asked.  The idea isn't that it covers everything (the documentation *ought*
to do that; one day it hopefully will...).  The aim is that
questions/problems that a lot of people have are listed there with answers -
this means that people don't have to formulate a question, post it to the
list, and wait to get an answer, and also that the people answering
questions to the list don't have to type out the same answers again and
again (and so can use that time helping others, improving the
code/documentation, sleeping, and so on).

=Tony Meyer

---