[Spambayes] Spambayes / Outlook -- display/update error

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Sat Sep 25 02:53:35 CEST 2004

Is the destination folder marked for offline availability? If so, it may be a synchronization issue. I.e., the count is correctly updated on the server, but if the server version of the folder hasn't synchronized with the client version, the latter's count might be wrong. Note that Spambayes does all its work on the client; but because Exchange tends to believe the server over the client, the count may be updated on the server first. I realize that's counterintuitive, but I've seen cases where Outlook reports conditions at the server until synchronization takes place, when changes have been made to the client offline. Try doing a manual synchronization of the offending folder and see if the count gets updated.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: spambayes-bounces at python.org [mailto:spambayes-bounces at python.org]On Behalf Of Tom Elliott
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 1:14 PM
To: spambayes at python.org
Subject: [Spambayes] Spambayes / Outlook -- display/update error

Hi,

On a few machines running Outlook 2000/2002 I've had a minor (but very irritating) problem with Spambayes. It appears to be working fine, but as it filters and moves mail to the correct folders, the folders don't appear to update or reflect the new emails' arrival. In other words, say a new email comes in and Spambayes correctly (or incorrectly) sorts it into the Spam folder. The new/unread message count does not change or increase to reflect the new email. However, if you would select that folder you would see that there was new Spam there. This problem is not limited to the Spam folder. It affects the unsure folder and even the inbox. Sometimes there will be several new emails that have arrived, but once again there is no indication of it. Even if you were currently working in the folder, you would not see the new message. You would need to select another folder and then return in order to see the new messages.

I failed to mention that all of the affected clients are working with an Exchange server. I haven't had the issue in non Exchange environments, but that could just be a function of how proportionately few of them I have Spambayes installed in.

Thank you,
Thomas Elliott

STRIGLOS COMPANIES INC.
Computer Center of Decatur
Striglos Office Equipment     Striglos Ink!
Haines & Essick Co.     Millikin Bookstore