[Spambayes] Spambayes stopped working?

Ian Wigle iwigle at rogers.com
Tue Sep 28 04:45:08 CEST 2004

Not sure what i've done, and I confess that my technical skills are fairly modest.

Running Win 98SE
I am runnig the source code version of Spambayes 1.07a

After some problems with my Cable ISP, my Spambayes installation has stopped behaving. (coincidence or not, I can't be sure)

When attempting to load HTTP://localhost:8880, I receive HTTP error 500 - not found. I had been using Spambayes for about a year and have made not intentional changes. When launching sb_server, the display on the console seems normal until it reports "user interface url is http://localhost:8880/" At this point a cursor simply flashes on the next line. I have the sense something else normally appears on the next line, but cannot recall. As I say, if I launch a browser pointed at localhost:8880, I get error 500.

I attempted deleting the databases (message_info_database.db and statistics_database.db), which has helped cure non-scannig problems in the past, but that did not help.

I downloaded Spambayes 1.0 and installed overtop of 1.07a, but I got the same result at the end of the day. I have looked through Troubleshooting.html, to no avail. I cannot report any error messages from the console, because none appear.

Does any of this sound familiar? I have found reference somewhere that perhaps port 8880 is in use, and I should choose another one. I don't know how I would check for that, and if that is what happened, I am also concerned about how that might have come to be.  Perhaps this is relevant: I am also running Norton antivirus (up to date) and also Black Ice firewall v3.6.cnr. Come to think, that was also a recent install, but I can't recall enough specifics to establish a cause/effect relationship between the two.

Has anyone got an idea of what might be happening here?

Many thanks,
Ian Wigle
iwigle at rogers.com
Toronto