[Spambayes] (no subject)

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Sep 29 08:31:19 CEST 2004

> I use spambayes with ms2000 outlook.  I also use a rule in
> outlook to forward all my email to a webclient at blackberry
> so I receive my emails on my blackberry pda.  The problem is
> the forwarding rule executes before spambayes runs so I get
> all of the spam on my PDA.  Is there a way to change the
> order so that spam bayes runs before the message is
> forwarded.  I have been unable to find a solution in MS outlook.

If you turn background filtering off (SpamBayes Manager->Advanced) then it's
up to Outlook what order things happen (i.e. Outlook then SpamBayes,
SpamBayes then Outlook, or SpamBayes & Outlook interchanged).  In practice,
this differs widely depending on Outlook version, how busy the machine is at
the time, and lots of other things.  You could give it a go, however.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to reliably run before Outlook rules (the
only reliable option is to go afterwards, which is the point of the
background filtering option).

The best solution would be if the plug-in allowed you to (optionally) move
mail classified as ham/good to a particular folder like it does for
unsure/spam.  That way you could just attach the Outlook rule to that
folder.  This has been requested a few times, IIRC, and I think there is an
open feature request on sourceforge: http://sf.net/projects/spambayes
(although a quick glance didn't find it).

That will probably get added at some point.  Until there, there isn't much
that can be done, sorry.

=Tony Meyer

---