[Spambayes] RE: [spambayes-dev] Potential bug?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Sep 30 05:23:51 CEST 2004

> I had the same problem

This is confusing, sorry.  You refer to "the same problem" - the same as
what?  This message doesn't appear to be a reply (for example, the subject
isn't in the form "Re: another_message"), but you are obviously replying to
something.

> Found this forum because I gave
> up on the mirror sites for spambayes-1.0.zip - none of them
> had the file - so I looked for it on Google. I am now
> downloading the .exe version, which takes a while.

I'm confused here, too.  Do you mean that the various sourceforge mirrors
didn't have the spambayes-1.0.zip file?  The ones I've tested appear to, and
there have been 400-odd downloads since it was released, so it seems that
they do.  Perhaps this was a temporary problem?  In any case, the page that
you were downloading the zip from ought to have had a link to the binary as
well (note that the contents of the zip and of the exe are not the same).

I'm guessing you were not downloading from http://sf.net/projects/spambayes
or http://spambayes.org or http://spambayes.sourceforge.net, but some other
site.  Those are the official SpamBayes webpages, so it's best to use them.

Note that spambayes-dev is *not* a place to discuss SpamBayes bugs.  It's a
mailing list for people interested in the development of SpamBayes.  The
correct list is spambayes at python.org, or you can just open a report on
http://sf.net/projects/spambayes.

http://spambayes.org/contact.html has more information about the various
mailing lists.

> - the reason I was uninstalling it in
> the first place was that outlook quit working entirely after
> I installed it. Since the folders and toolbars didn't
> disappear, I thought "what the heck" and installed it again.

The toolbar not being removed after uninstall is a known bug (the FAQ refers
to it in the "how do I uninstall" question/answer).

> I learned something in the process: you MUST restart the
> computer after installing spambayes and before opening
> outlook. If you don't, outlook will not work, no matter how
> many time you restart!!!

This is not true in general (although it may have been the case for you).

> It would be good to tell people this beforehand

The chances are that something was wrong with Outlook itself, and the
restart fixed this.  Given the numbers of people that have installed the
plug-in, and that this is the first report of this problem, it seems the
most likely explanation.  If you can duplicate it (particularly on more than
one machine), then please do open a bug report.

> and also let them know beforehand that it works
> best with equal amounts of spam and ham (before they train it
> with 1500 pieces of ham and 15 spams, as I did :-p -- the
> spam is gradually catching up).

Note that training large (like 1500) numbers of messages will probably not
give you the best performance.  It's best (generally) to start with a fresh
database and just train on everything that ends up in the unsure folder (or
is misclassified).  This will be everything at first, but after about 10 ham
and 10 spam you'll get good results.

This is an area in which the documentation (etc) is a bit behind, and we are
working on fixing it - thanks for the suggestion, though.

=Tony Meyer

---