[Spambayes] Concurrent DB access leads to corruption? (FAQ question)

Jim Correia jim.correia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 22:16:18 CEST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005 2:51 PM, wsy <wsy at merl.com> wrote:

> Toss it over my wall too, please!  :-)
>
> The problem seems to be that if you have an NFS-mounted directory
> containing your files of interest, there is *no* gauranteed way
> to lock it without using an "out of band" communications system that
> gaurantees sequential serialized delivery of messages with confirmation.
> TCP/IP is one such, but NFS semantics are _not_.

It was my (perhaps incorrect) understanding that some recent NFS
implementations (like the one which ships with current versions of Mac
OS X) did file locking.

Nonetheless, I'd be happy with a locking implementation that required
a non-NFS disk. a) I don't use an NFS home directory. b) This seems to
be a fairly common
requirement. :-)

Jim