[Spambayes] Concurrent DB access leads to corruption? (FAQquestion)

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Apr 4 01:45:06 CEST 2005

[...]
> reading through the sb_imapfilter
> source lead me to believe it would be inefficient for
> classification of my mail since it walks the inbox completely
> every time, and I tend to leave a couple of thousand messages
> in there. (Of course, I could have read the source
> incorrectly, and even if I have, I should measure to see how
> slow it is or isn't.)

You're probably right.  sb_imapfilter does run through all messages in your
'watch' folders.  (More specifically, it does a search for all undeleted
messages, then gets just the headers (no body) for all of those.  It then
compares the MessageID header to the message database, and classifies
(including getting the full message) only those which haven't been seen
already.

This could probably be changed to just do a search for the MessageID (or
X-Spambayes-ID) header, which would speed it up a little.  Patches are
welcome :)

=Tony.Meyer