[Spambayes] Sudden problem with zlib and SpamBayes 1.0

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Apr 4 11:28:05 CEST 2005

[Yikes.  Just noticed this one.  It's probably too late now, but in case
it's not:]

> I've been running SpamBayes 1.0 with Python 2.3 quite
> successfully for a while.  After a machine reboot today though, the
> SpamBayes service refuses to start up.
>
> In the event log, I found the error message
[...]
>     import zlib
> exceptions.ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function
>
> If I run the pop3proxy_service in debug mode, then everything
> goes just fine.  Trying to start the service, and it fails.

What's probably happening is that SpamBayes is now finding a zlib.dll
somewhere before the one in the SpamBayes directory (e.g. in SYSTEM32).
Another application probably installed one there.

1.1a1 includes a fix for this, and the next version of pywin32 will also
include a (non-spambayes specific) fix, as well.  If you need something to
fix it now (unlikely since your message was from so long ago, I suppose) let
us know and we can figure something out (perhaps using the CVS version of
pop3proxy_service would work).

=Tony.Meyer