[Spambayes] Spambayes 1.1a1 too many problems?

Michal Vitecek fuf at mageo.cz
Wed Apr 13 10:46:09 CEST 2005

Tony Meyer wrote:
>> 3) Intermittently, I saw e-mail message headers with the
>> following errors:
>>  .DBRunRecoveryError: (-30978, 'DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
>>  run database recovery -- PANIC: Invalid argument')
>
>As Tim said, this means that the database is dead, and you have to retrain
>from scratch.  Did you start with the same database you had with 1.0.x, or
>delete that and start fresh?  This problem occurs with 1.0.x, too (and is
>one of the reasons for 1.1a1 including other database options), although not
>often, and most cases are caused when something unsupported (concurrent
>access from two spambayes processes, for example) is done.  Was there
>anything unusual about the way you ran 1.1a1?  Was 1.0.x definitely not
>running at the same time?

 this has been happening for me too from the very first time i started
 using spambayes on our firm's mailserver. i can assure you there is no
 other process accessing messageinfo_db besides sb_server itself. it
 simply mangles the database all alone :)

>> 4) Error messages in the logfile like:
>[...]
>> error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel
>> <spambayes.Dibbler._HTTPHandler connected at 0x98437b0>
>> (socket.error:(10053, 'Software caused connection abort')
>> [asynchat.pyc|handle_read|89] [asyncore.pyc|recv|343])
>> Almost immediately after this error, the Page File increased
>> to over 1.3GB!!! and my system slowly died.
>
>Again, if anyone else is reading this, have you experienced anything like
>this?  It's hard to track down from a single report like this; it would be
>much easier if someone could keep running 1.1a1 while we figure out what the
>problem is.  I don't suppose you know *when* the messages appeared in the
>log?  (i.e. when you were just using the web interface, when mail was being
>checked, when training was occurring).  Is your network connection
>unreliable? (My best guess is that there were regular problems with
>connecting to the POP3 server, but I need more information to know for
>sure).

 i'm having the same problem and i submitted a bug #1178463 to
 sourceforge. i don't know what causes it - from the look of the error i
 guess the problem is that sb_server cannot cope with socket which
 wasn't closed cleanly and continues to operate on it.

--
		fuf		(fuf at mageo.cz)