[Spambayes] Spambayes 1.1a1 too many problems?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 14 04:03:44 CEST 2005

[Michal Vitecek]
> there is a hackish patch #1177008 i submitted to sourceforge
> which  allows to get rid of this problem by setting database
> type for  messageinfo_db to none. thus there are no
> writes/reads from the  database and it can't get corrupted.
> so far, i'm running this for a  week and had no problem -
> sb_server.py is very stable.

If anyone really needs to avoid this problem right now, then you can use
this, but otherwise please don't.  This patch avoids the problem; it does
nothing to solve it.  You will also lose functionality - sb_imapfilter will
basically not work, nor will the Outlook plug-in.  At the moment, the only
part of sb_server that will not work is the generation of the additional
statistics, but that is not guaranteed to remain the case.

Note, too, that this only works if it is the messageinfo database becoming
corrupted - you cannot set the token database to none, or nothing will work.
If the messageinfo database becomes corrupted, then you do not need to
retrain from scratch, just remove the dead database.

If anyone can provide steps that will cause database corruption, then we
would be very interested in hearing those.  Michal has done so in the patch
referred to above (rather involved, so I haven't had a chance to try and
duplicate it yet), but we are interested in any others as well.

=Tony.Meyer