[Spambayes] Problem with Spambayes IMAP and Microsoft Exchange...

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 21 08:54:57 CEST 2005

> I've been using SB for a while with a Mirapoint IMAP server
> and it works just fine. I made minor tweaks to the sb_imapfilter.py
> script to have a "Ham" folder in addition to the "Spam" and "Unsure"
> folders,

Your patch for this is in 1.1a1, BTW.

> to only train if login is successful, and to keep trying to log in at the
> defined interval, when a login fails (in case there are
> transient issues with accessing the server).

I believe 1.1a1 ought to do this as well.

> However, I'm trying to switch to Microsoft Exchange server using IMAP
> and I'm having problems. I changed the ini file to point to the new
> server name, I have the folders set up on the server, but, when I run
> imapfilter.py, I see the following message (after the
> password is obtained):
[...]
> Invalid response to select Inbox.Bayesian.MarkAsHam:
> ('NO', ['The requested item could not be found.'])

It sounds like you left the folder names in the ini file the same and just
created matching folders on the new server - is that right?  If so, the
problem might be that the Exchange server uses a different delimiter than
the '.' that it appears the Mirapoint server uses.

If you open up the web interface and look at the folder list (for training
or filtering), do the folder names appear like "Inbox.Bayesian.MarkAsHam"?
They might be something like "Inbox/Bayesian/MarkAsHam", instead, which
would be an easy fix.

=Tony.Meyer