[Spambayes] RE: Feature Request

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Mon Apr 25 14:45:08 CEST 2005

A couple of comments on the whitelisting debate ...

1.  I agree with the Spambayes developers that whitelisting is superfluous. But it doesn't matter, because only relatively sophisticated users understand why it's superfluous. If you're responsible for email in a shop with unsophisticated users, you WILL implement whitelisting; the users will demand it and will eventually get the ear of someone who can overrule you. The only reason I'm not one of those hollering for whitelisting in Spambayes is that ...

2.  Very few unsophisticated users will accept a client-based solution for spam removal in any case. The reasons for this are varied, and some of them are subtle; but you won't be able to dodge them forever, and eventually you'll have to install a server-based system. But since every commercially viable server-based system includes whitelisting, you don't need it in Spambayes or in any other client-side spamcatcher. (BTW, one of the reasons Spambayes isn't viable in a large Outlook-using organization is the ease of inadvertently deleting or misplacing your spam folders. That the problem is mostly Outlook's fault is irrelevant.)

Bob

MIS Department, City of Cambridge
831 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge MA 02139  ·  617-349-4217  ·  fax 617-349-6165